Wednesday, April 30, 2014

One step forward, two steps back

Kennedy had to be put back on the vent last night. She was struggling with her breathing and had a really bad day yesterday. She just doesn't have the lung strength right now. It's so upsetting.  She had such a great day Monday!  I got to hold her for 3 hours and she maintained her oxygen the entire time. Yesterday she was ok when I got there but things slowly started to go down hill. Her oxygen requirements were going up and her breathing was very shallow. Her belly was all filled with air so they vented that out. That helped but ultimately she just couldn't keep up. They did a chest x - ray and her little lungs just couldn't stay inflated so they intubated her at about 10 last night.  I don't know what their plans are from here. Art and I will talk to the Dr when we get to the hospital this morning.  For now the nurse says she's stable but exhausted. Her vent settings are pretty high right now but she needs to recover from yesterday.  We're thinking she'll be on for at least another 2 weeks before they try to take her off again. My heart is just broken.  To see her have to struggle that way, it's just so sad. I wish I could switch places with her and take all her pain away.  I can't stand to see her struggle. But we have to be strong for her. She's the one in there fighting every day. Her strength just amazes me!

No comments:

Post a Comment