Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Welcome to the world Kennedy Rose Mary Crist!

On March 23rd at 3:18 in the afternoon our beautiful daughter was brought into this world! She was 2 lbs 2 oz 14 inches long and 14 weeks early! We always knew Kennedy would be born a little earlier because of my history (this was a high risk pregnancy) and because I was diagnosed with placenta previa but we would have never thought she'd come at 26 weeks. Obviously she had a plan of her own and the past week has been a completely whirl wind!

On Sunday 3/23 I awoke to some bleeding.  Now because of the previa I was expecting some bleeding in the 3rd trimester but because of my history it obviously freaked us out. For those of you who don't know, last year we lost our son at 18 weeks due to an abruption.  Needless to say we rushed to the hospital. Long story short, they found a blood clot, it past and the bleeding stopped. The doctors and I thought it best to have me stay the night to make sure everything was ok and that the bleeding was definitely done. They brought me to my room,  I had some lunch and my Mom and Kenzie came up to keep me company while Art went home to get some overnight things for me. That was the last bit of normalcy we had!

I started bleeding again and this time they couldn't get it under control so they transfered me back to labor and delivery. They started me on magnesium to protect the babies brain. Arthur finally came back to the hospital at this point and the doctor told us they couldn't stop the bleeding and that the baby would have to be delivered now. The fear that came over me at that moment is undescribable. She couldn't be born now, I was only 26 weeks. She needed to stay with me for longer. I needed to protect her and I couldn't.  It was the worst feeling of my life.

The NICU doctor came into the room and explained to Art and I exactly what would happen and what to expect after the baby was born. This conversation was so surreal to me. I just couldn't believe this was all happening. Finally they wheeled me into the OR and started the surgery.  All I could do was cry. Art was there holding my hand, keeping me calm. At one point the anesthesiologist said to me "I have something I want to show you." He put his phone in front of me and showed me a video of his daughter playing the piano.  It was beautiful. He said to me "That's my daughter. She'll be 9 years old. Her and her brother were born at 24 weeks." I just cried tears of joy! I will forever remember that moment.  He comforted Arthur and I when we desperately needed it and gave us hope. He was an amazing man and talked us through the entire surgery.  I wish I could see him again and give him a huge hug.

Finally,  after what seemed like forever,  the doctor said "birth!" Kennedy was brought into the world and taken immediately from the room. After a while the anesthesiologist went into the back to see if Art could go see Kennedy. He came out and got Art and took him to see his daughter.  I was waiting for Art to come show me pics. When he finally came out he said she was doing so well they were going to bring her out to me. I thought they'd roll her out in an incubator but at least I'd get to see her. Then I heard "Here she is" and I turned and the doctor was holding her in her arms! She looked amazing!! So tiny and so beautiful with her big eyes open and looking around. It was so wonderful to see her and see that she was doing well.  I just wanted to scoop her up and hold her forever. Such a tiny, wonderful little miracle!



After surgery they took me to recovery and finally up to my room. I was on so much medication by this time that the rest of the night is some what of a blur. I do remember asking to be taken up to the NICU that night. I just needed to see Kennedy again and see that she was ok. They took Art and I up to see her and we got to talk to her nurse. She was doing real well. Breathing on her own and room oxygen. All very good news!



Monday she continued to do well.

Tuesday when I went up in the morning to see Kennedy they told me she was doing so well I'd be able to hold her for the first time! When I went in the afternoon I was so excited!  And so scared!  She was so tiny and fragile.  It took them 10 minute's just to get her out of the incubator with all the little wires and tubes but finally they put her in my arms. What an amazing moment! To hold my sweet miracle in my arms. I just sat there with her, talked to her, sang to her. She was so peaceful and beautiful!  I didn't want the moment to end.

 
The next day I was released from the hospital. I was so sad to be leaving without her. I wanted her home with her Dad, sister and I. Leaving that hospital was the hardest thing I ever had to do. But I was happy to be going home to my Kenzie! I needed some serious mommy daughter time with her.

Thursday we had a bit of a scare. At about 8:30 we received a call from the NICU doctor and she told us that Kennedy was very pale this morning. Art and I rushed over to the hospital. They ran a bunch of tests on her to see why she looked so pale and she had to have a blood transfusion, which they say is very common in premies. They just don't replenish the blood taken from them quickly so they need extra. She had a head scan, belly and chest scan and a heart x-ray. All of her tests came back good except a little bump with the heart scan. They noticed that she had a heart murmur. They said this is common in premies. They're just born before the artery has time to close. So they had to start her on medication to help close the whole. Each cycle of the medication is three doses given every 12 hours. They would give up to 3 cycles (9) doses before they'd consider surgery. At 10 pm she had her first dose.

Friday and Saturday were stable days. She received her next two doses of her heart medication and continued to rest.

Sunday, my baby girl is a week old and we received GREAT news!!!  When I called for my morning check up the nurse told me that she didn't hear the heart murmur anymore and that she even gained a little bit of weight! They were also going to start trying to feed her some milk to see if she can tolerate it. All really great things!

So that catches you up through the first week. I'm going to try really hard to update this every day so you can all follow along with Kennedy's progress.

Arthur, Makenzie and I would just like to thank you all of your continued thoughts and prayers! We are touched by the outpouring of love and support we have received. It has meant so much to us. Please keep them coming because they're obviously working!

Love to all,

The Crist Family





2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this...we have been praying for our great niece
    daily...we know she will get stronger every day...and we look toward to meeting her this summer...love to all ...Auntie G and Uncle Bob in AZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie I pray for you all. I hope Kennedy comes home soon. Crystal Long's daughter Nia was a premie. She was born 2lbs 14 oz. She is now 5!

    ReplyDelete