Friday, May 9, 2014

What a difference a day makes

What a difference a day makes, a few hours make. That's the way parents in the NICU live. We're never safe, we're never in the clear. We just take it day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute. Arthur and I unfortunately experienced that first hand over the last 48 hours.

Kennedy is doing great! She's made such a recovery since yesterday. When we left the hospital yesterday her oxygen level was between 95-100% still. When I called at 10 to check up on her she was down to 87%. Not great, but going in the right direction. When I called at 5 a.m. this morning the nurse told me she had her down to 23%!! (21% is the lowest you can go. That is breathing room air.)Kennedy hasn't been that low on her oxygen since she was born! The nurse said her blood gases have been so good that they were also able to ween her vent setting down too. Art and I were shocked! I was hoping for them to say they got her down to 60%, maybe even 50%, but 23% was just fantastic!! I didn't want to get too excited until I saw it for myself so I got dressed and headed up to the hospital. Sure enough she was doing much better! Her color was good, her activity was good and her big beautiful eyes were open and looking around. Her chest x-ray looked good and the doctor said he thinks putting her on the oscillator really helped and inflated her lungs again and that's why her levels dropped so dramatically. The doctors in this unit are just amazing! The doctor that was on call all day yesterday came in to check on me today and told me he called all night asking for an update on Kennedy. He said he was so worried about her because for a time yesterday afternoon she wasn't doing well and he was really concerned for her. He's so happy with her progress today and he wants to take advantage of the great progress she's making on the vent. They're going to continue to ween her off the oscillator today and put her back on the conventional vent and continue with a 7 day dose of steroids. Their plan is to try to take her off completely next week. He said he wants her off because the vent is what is causing this damage to her lungs. The sooner we get her off the quicker her lungs will begin to heal.

I spent the day by her side just letting her sleep. Occasionally she'd open her eyes and look at me and start doing her normal arms and legs routine. Getting back to her usual feisty self. I left feeling so much better!

Thank you all SO much for all of your thoughts and prayers yesterday and every day!! It simply amazes me how many people care for Kennedy and are praying and cheering for her. Your prayers came through for her yesterday and Arthur and I are just so greatful for you all. She is truly the strongest person I've ever met.

Love to all!

The Crist Family




No comments:

Post a Comment