Thursday, May 8, 2014

Good days and very bad days...

Today is a very bad day. One of the worse since we've been in the NICU. Kennedy took a turn for the worse, one that probably set her back about a month.

At 6:30 this morning I called the NICU for my regular morning check up on Kennedy. They told me she had a good night and that her oxygen was between 36-40% which is the norm for her. At about 9:30 my phone rang and when I saw "NICU" on my caller ID my heart dropped. Sure enough it was the doctor saying she needed to give me an update on Kennedy. They dropped her vent settings again this morning and she didn't respond to it well. Her oxygen requirements kept going higher and higher. They did a chest x-ray and it didn't look good. She had secretions in her lungs and they looked deflated. They put all of her IV's back in, started her on antibiotics, gave her morphine to calm her down and to relax her and gave her a blood transfusion. She made no progress for most of the day so they decided to put her on the oscillator vent again, the scary vent that makes her vibrate. They're still working on figuring out exactly what's wrong with her but she has impoved some. She was down to at least 92%.

Tonight is a very big night for her. She needs to show some more improvement and get her oxygen levels down! I know you've all kept her in your prayers but she could use some extra ones today.

No comments:

Post a Comment