Thursday, October 2, 2014

Discharge meeting?!?!

So let's start off with the most exciting news. Today we had Kennedy's discharge meeting at Children's.  It's official, she'll be home a week from today!!! That's all I'm going to say about it because until she's in that ambulance on her way to Boonton I won't really believe it. It all feels like a dream right now.

There's a lot that has to be done over the next week. Tuesday was my last day of work until the beginning of the year. I'm very thankful that I'm able to take this time off. Not just for myself, because to be honest I'm completely drained, but I just can't wait to spend every minute of the next three months with my little sweet pea! The doctor said to me she thinks the best therapy for Kennedy right now is to be home with her family and I couldn't agree more! Every time Arthur, Makenzie or I walk into the room her eyes light up and she smiles and laughs. I think she's missing us almost as much as we miss her.

She's been doing really well at Children's!  She's about 12 pounds now. She's taking about 30 ml's from the bottle a day. She's still struggling with this. The speech therapist says she has weak muscles in her mouth but she's going to continue to work with her until discharge and then after that we'll continue to take her to speech once a week. They say she probably won't ever drink fully from a bottle but instead go right to being spoon fed but we need to build up her muscles and technique.

As far as her settings go she's been rocking there too! Right now she's only ON the vent for 8 hours a day. From midnight to 8 am she's on CPAP (a type of vent setting) and for the rest of the day she's breathing on her own. She's also off oxygen at night which is great!! If we can continue to work on getting her off both these things full time that would be awesome!! And less machinery needed at the Crist House =)

We have all of her doctor appointments lined up for after discharge and that's going to keep us busy for quite a while! She'll have to see the Pediatrician (of course), the cardiologist, the pulmonologist, the GI doctor and the ENT doctor. She still has a long road ahead of her but I truly believe she'll do even better when she's home with us!

We're so excited to get her home but scared as well! Everything is a little overwhelming and to be honest a little frightening. Thankfully we'll have the nursing here 16 hours a day to help us out. Lots of adjusting over the next few weeks but we're ready for it! Getting our daughter home is all we're focused on right now!! She such a sweet, happy little girl. You would never know everything this little baby went through. Luckily she won't remember either!

I will post after she's FINALLY home! For now enjoy my little pumpkin!

Love to all,

The Crist Family





No comments:

Post a Comment